Mommy Daddy :*

-->
I am still recovering from the POX at my parents, the older I get, the more gratitude I feel toward my mom and dad. They have always shown me (and my sister) unconditional love and a whole lot of support throughout our lives and I am sincerely thankful. The other day I was thinking on some of the life lessons I’m about to tell you about and it popped in my head to just write a post about this. Maybe some of these lessons that my parents have passed on to me.
Lesson 1 from my Mom: Choose joy everyday.
My mom is probably the most joyful person I’ve ever known and most of my friends would vouch for that. This doesn’t mean she’s never sad or doesn’t get upset. She’s human. 🙂 But she chooses to live a life absolutely filled with joy. And I think it took me a while to understand something really basic about this—that it’s a choice. She could decide to focus on the negative, or just consider things mundane or ordinary. But instead my mom will find so much joy in simple things, like an afternoon she can spend uninterrupted in her singing session. From my mom, I’ve learned (and continue to learn/practice) to appreciate the simple pleasures of life for the gifts they truly are and I honestly believe this is one of the keys to happiness.
Lesson 2 from my Dad: Take a chance on the people you love.
This could be a very long story but I’m going to keep it short just because I want to get to the point, since it’s really the most important thing here. When my sister and I were just starting out in our professional careers , our dad invested a lot of money in education/courses that really helped us in the long run. He and my mom don’t live off a trust fund or something. They’ve always worked hard to give us the life we had. To me, this is such a picture of that selfless parent love that I hope I live up to one day when I have the honor of becoming a mom (#notpregnant). My dad is a pretty practical guy, but he showed me in this act how taking risks for the people you love can really pay off. Plus, I think his willingness to sacrifice really pushed us to work our butts off in our worklife. 😉
Lesson 3 from my Mom: It’s never too late to follow your dreams.
My mom studied engineering in college at a time when women barely took it up; she was the only girl in her class back then. Once me and my sister grew, she took this opportunity to become a writer/singer/ comperer, and now that’s what she does makes the most of her time. And she loves it! I think it would have been easy for her to think the time to start a new career was over for her, but I love that she didn’t. I think she was really wise to know that life is actually pretty long, and as much as we can we should fill it by pursuing what we love.. Ha! I love this example and hope that I’m still challenging myself and following my dreams no matter my age. After all, it’s just a number.
Lesson 4 from both my parents: Loving others is a gift (to you!).
Life is never perfect—there are plenty of bumps and stressful moments. But loving your family, and I mean fiercely loving them in that selfless way that parents do for their kids, I think changes you. Obviously your kids need you (or your siblings, or spouse, or whoever you are currently loving as your family right now), but I think we all need to love this way too because it’s good for us. My parents have shown me the transformative power of love in many different ways—and I think one of the greatest gifts they have given me is the ability and the knowledge to know that I should love as much and as often as I can. Just like they did for me. I hope I do them proud.
I just read back over this and cried like three times. I guess I’m feeling sappy. Ha.
Love you, mom and dad!!!!!

💕💞♥♥♥

Comments

Unknown said…
Oh my god Grish, while reading this,I was floating like feather in joy,as god gave me gift of loveliest,kind hearted, Angle name Grishma 💋💋💋💋💋sweety,we r proud parents of my intellectual, brilliant,& philanthropic 💓 Grishma baby.
Always love you
Unknown said…
Oh my god Grish, while reading this,I was floating like feather in joy,as god gave me gift of loveliest,kind hearted, Angle name Grishma 💋💋💋💋💋sweety,we r proud parents of my intellectual, brilliant,& philanthropic 💓 Grishma baby.
Always love you

Popular posts from this blog

A letter to Grishma 10 years from now

Dadu, my only love. Will miss you

This Time - This time you will never get back