Love you MY MOMMMY DAAADY

One of the best things in life that I never take for granted is going home after a long, tiring day and having my family ask me if I’ve had dinner already. I mean, I don’t care if you bathe in a tub of money or if you have a zillion fans throwing themselves at you. For me, family is still the most important thing in one’s life (along with faith and friendship, of course).

I think it’s rather sad that you see people everywhere talk about how much they love their new Macs, that or a cup of ridiculously expensive coffee, yet, it’s so rare to hear them say they love their families. So let me be not one of those people because I tell you, I LOVE MY FAMILY LIKE WHOAH AND I FEEL EXTREMELY GRATEFUL TO BELONG TO A LOVING HOME.

Right, this entry is for and about them - my parents (my sister needs a separate blog post altogether).

My parents are such characters.I was raised in a normal middle-class, nuclear household in the maximum city. I’ve lived in the same neighbourhood since I was born .

My father works with a pharma company and my mother is a housewife/social worker/writer/singer. Both are good-natured people.

The two without them realizing it, taught me the true meaning of passion.

Whenever I’d cry and complain about the pressures of work and the fact that I can’t save up (because srsly, my job’s not as glamorous as some people may think), he’d always tell me to shut it and remind yours truly that I decided on this path and if I don’t like what I do, why don’t I just quit and get a normal job or something?

My mother, on the other hand, gave up her career .She is an engineer! like she has worked with fat-ass networks in those times. I thought it was silly to be a stay-at-home mom and waste your full potential as a person . Until I grew a brain and realized that it may be true, afterall- being a homemaker is the hardest job on earth. And boy, did my mom do an awesome job!

As I’ve mentioned, life was never really easy though Or maybe it was my parents just did a great job concealing everything around us. Regardless, my parents ALWAYS MADE SURE that we understand how lucky we are compared to other people. That we have a house, food to eat, good education and of course, a family.

I didn’t get it then.It’s actually funny, now that I think about it. I learned to value what I have.

And even in those times , it didn’t stop my parents from being genuinely generous. We’ve always been an extended family because my parents’ adopt our maids kids and send them to school. I kid you not. Even strangers, they would gladly help without expecting anything in return.

It used to bother me that they’d take in all those people when it’s not their responsibility at all to provide them a home or a better life but my mom would always say, “the reason God gave us a house this big is so we can share it with others…”

Yes, I love my parents. They never forced me to sleep in the afternoons (unlike most of the kids my age), they let me climb trees and become a pseudo- bandariya(my dad wanted me to be street-smart and exposed to people from all walks of life) and they even let me speak my mind.

Although of course, we do have our differences, especially since my father is unbelievably disicplined and strict. I was not allowed to sleep over in other people’s houses in school.I took it against them for a time because teenagers are supposed to have resentments against their parents for one reason or another (or none at all). I even have diary entries from when I was 22 and I was fuming mad at my dad for not letting me go to goa...

But I finally saw a different side of him and understood where he’s coming from, we would travel to office together the one hour we spent on the road became our bonding time and I saw my father in a new light. He suddenly became cool.

My mom and I? We bond when we travel and shop and eat.I think I got my sense of humor from both of them,they don’t crack jokes in front of us but when they’re with friends, especially my dad, he can slap people with his witty one-liners!

Yes, I do feel blessed. My family is perfect and they’re made of win. And I’m aware that not a lot of people have this kind of relationship with their parents. That they don’t get to hear pray with their family or even just have have with them, even if they want to. And I know that out-of-this-world as I am, I got my folks to back me up and for that, I feel like I can take on the world. Because at the end of the day, even if the world gives me a double middle-finger in return, I know I can always run back home and be told that I should hang the towel after I’ve used it… and that I’d never see the light of day again if I were to get a tattoo.Hahaha. Oh, how I love them.

Comments

Nupur Gadkari said…
You bet Grish! There ain't no body even close to family :-) they will always be the ones looking out for you no matter what.. :-)

Lovely writing. Hope your parents read it :-)
M.G. said…
thts whr the postivity comes from, parents are the best.... even when they sometimes get worst to handle. lol

lovely thoughts :-)
"M" said…
Your writing is getting better and better! actually I totally loved this post!!
Ashraf said…
sathya vachan gri...
i miss my mommy now :(:(
grish keep writing more of such posts..it helps me vent out of my emotions as well..thnks dear
sohil v said…
Very well written Grishma. Home is where the heart is!! :)

Popular posts from this blog

A letter to Grishma 10 years from now

Dadu, my only love. Will miss you

This Time - This time you will never get back