I love i like my workss... :-)

I typed that message a couple of nights ago while I was busy writing a press release. Now, I know I normally don’t write about my work here but I think it’s about time that I share the details of my job and the misadventures that come along with it.

I work in media house. Back in college, I never thought that I would work with a big-ass networks. I started as an intern while I was still in college hence; I was immediately absorbed when I moved to their new company. Because its show business and I deal with artists and talents and celebrities people assume that it’s a glamorous job. Far from it! In fact, it’s so totally unglamorous, I sometimes feel like I do more manual labor than farmers.

It’s not a 9-5 job and though we have flexi time (sometimes I go to the office at 1pm and leave at 5 lol), I spend about 8-9 hours a day at work when I have projects. And unlike many desk jobs, too, where you leave your work behind once you step out of the office door, I often go home and do half of my work at home.

You see, if I were a celebrity, I’d be Jennifer Lopez- singer/dancer/actress/producer/mother. An over-all performer if you may, sans the butt. My boss doesn’t really believe in the whole “you’re-a-trainee-who-needs-to-be-taught-everything-you-need-to-know-before-I-give-you-work” idea and let’s just say, I was thrown in the middle of the ocean when I didn’t even know how to swim.
Just last year, I think I spent a month in the office while working on a big project. Yes, it did kill my social life, making me swear that I’ll never stay the night there again unless it’s really really really necessary.

We have a rather “tidy” office, too. Like I can’t even explain. You just have to see it. But we treat it as our second home.

Speaking of clothes, I love that we can wear whatever we want to work.

Don’t get me wrong, there are times when I’d find myself stacked with work (especially now that I’m also doing management and too much) and I’d ask myself if it’s all worth it. If it’s worth losing sleep for days, getting yelled at by your superiors and even clients, having meetings four times a week at minimum, your brain turning into soup after a 7pm creative session, putting up a brave front for your crew and team and rushing to phoenix to break down let all the stress out.

I mean, I can be earning more in advertising or the corporate world. But at the end of the day, I’d turn on that TV set or a newspaper and see my news airing and everything would just fall into place. I’m only 25, probably still paying my dues and maybe, just maybe, I haven’t seen nothing yet. But I know I have seen the bigger picture and I’ve long decided that I’ll be BIG in this biz, no other options. 

Comments

Noorali Surani said…
That sounded like a thought soup :) You had a lot to say and you decided to put it all in, experimenting to see how it turned out :)
Kasturi said…
Hey Gri... you rock and how!!! You represent us (i mean the media-related mad lot)... very well said!!!
Ashraf said…
well said gri... i loves the last para... n the J'Lo part...amazing....hehe
"M" said…
Nicee!!:)... way to go bebe...:D

Popular posts from this blog

A letter to Grishma 10 years from now

Dadu, my only love. Will miss you

This Time - This time you will never get back